News: March 2020
To be nominated in the same category as Margo Lanagan’s wonderful Stray Bats is a particular delight!
NEW: Book inspired hand-made jewellery
If you love these stories, you might enjoy wearing jewellery inspired by its contents, including Holmes and Watson, vampires, werewolves (and other Children of the Night) – and made by me!
Check out the Dangerous Charm site.
My short story collection, Scar Tissue and Other Stories, was published in collaboration with Clan Destine Press in April 2019.
The title story, “Scar Tissue” was published originally in the online magazine Matilda and sets the theme of the collection. Each story is connected in some way to the physical and emotional scars of suffering, and how we deal with them, how we survive them. Or not.
I don’t know how obvious the theme is from story to story – some of the scars are more comical than painful; often the meaning is not explicit; but in my head, at least, that is what ties to the stories together. Hurt and survival.
Other stories include a canon-era Holmes♥Watson werewolf adventure, a new story about Melbourne vampire Gary Hooper and his friend Lissa Wilson, seen through someone else’s eyes, a Ravenfall short story and several new Lost and Found flash fictions.
The collection has been created with the support of my Patreon mini-Medicis, and was provided to them as a thank you gift.
If you like short stories – or if you’d like to see what the fuss is about – Narrelle is an expert at the craft. Highly recommended.~ Julia Bozza, author of The Definitive Albert J Sterne
The whole collection is saturated with wonder and delight, and a level of clear-eyed observation which allows for both horror and beauty, tragedy and hope.~ Janette, Amazon
And their stories are interesting, some painful, some hopeful, some funny; there are apocalypses, and vampires, humans and werewolves. There are even a couple of poems. And oh, god, I love them, all of them.~ Claudia, Goodreads
Willsin Rowe, who has done so many wonderful covers for my CDP and Patreon titles, created the cover from an idea of mine, and got it spot on!
Buy Scar Tissue and Other Stories
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Clan Destine Press – all formats)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Barnes and Noble)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Angus and Robertson)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Booktopia)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Kobo)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (NookBook)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (iTunes)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Google Books)
- Scar Tissue: And Other Stories (Amazon US)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Amazon UK)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Amazon Australia)
- Scar Tissue and Other Stories (Waterstones)
The full table of contents is:
- Scar Tissue
- Lost and Found: Changeling
- Hoorfrost (the Kitty and Cadaver origin story)
- Lost and Found: The Solo Rapture
- Lost and Found: Wanderlust
- Words Fail (poem)
- Lost and Found: Plot Bunny
- Faithful (Holmes♥Watson/werewolf)
- Lost and Found: Peaceful
- Lost and Found: Journey
- Bad Night at Bite Club (a Vampires of Melbourne story)
- Lost and Found: Horehound and Flour
- The Path (poem)
- Lost and Found: Bouquet
- The Beekeeper’s Children (an Adventure of the Colonial Boy/Holmes♥Watson story)
- Lost and Found: Practice Makes Perfect
- Shadow at my Shoulder (a Ravenfall short story)
- Lost and Found : Long Live the King
- A Song for Hell
- The Xmas Card Mystery (a traditional Holmes + Watson story)
- Death’s Door
- Constant (poem)