Quintette asks writers five quick questions. This week’s interview is with:
The title, Snowy River Man, echoes an early draft of the novel which featured Banjo Paterson’s poem “The Man From Snowy River” – it was a book the heroine read to my hero’s son. After my involvement with the Australian Women Writers challenge, I decided to change what they were reading to Elyne Mitchell’s The Silver Brumby, a story I loved in childhood – but the idea for the title stuck. The story is set near Adaminaby which is closer to Cooma than the Snowy River, but it’s on the border of the Snowy River Shire Council, so I figure that’s close enough.
2. If you could choose anyone from any time period, who would you cast as the leads in your latest story?
Jessica Mauboy as Katrina and (a young) Richard Roxburgh as Jack
3. What five words best describe your story?
Takes risks for a romance.
4. Who is your favourite fictional couple?
Frodo and Gandalf. Oh what? They’re not a couple?
5. What song always makes you cry?
Jenny’s Mermaid by UK folk duo, BarronBrady. The story of the girl in this song always gets to me.
About Snowy River Man
When Jack Fairley’s six-year-old son Nick goes missing from a mountain rodeo, the person he least expects to turn up to help find his son is Katrina Delaney. The last time he saw Katrina, she was in a psychiatric ward, in no fit state to help herself, let alone anyone else.
Katrina has no wish to see Jack Fairley again, but she has dreamed of his missing son. Can she rein in the demons from her past long enough to find the lost child, and maybe even find love?
About Lizzy Chandler
Lizzy Chandler (aka Elizabeth Lhuede) has a PhD in English, is trained as a counsellor, and works on the creative writing and English marking panel TAFE NSW (OTEN). She is the also coordinator for the Australian Women Writers Challenge.
- Lizzy Chandler’s website
- Elizabeth Lhuede’s website
- Lizzy Chandler on Facebook
- Twitter: @lizzy_chandler | @elizabethlhuede | @auswomenwriters
Buy Snowy River Man (e-book only)
- Snowy River Man (Bookworld – Australian Women Writers’ sponsor)
- Snowy River Man (Escape Publishing)
- Snowy River Man (Amazon.com)
Would you like to answer a Quintette interview? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!